History of YGT
More than 40 years ago York Glaziers Trust was formed, building on centuries of craftsmanship associated with York Minster, Britain's treasure-house of stained glass.
The Trust is dedicated to the care of the Minster's windows and the preservation of historic stained glass nationwide - the vision of Eric Milner-White, Dean of York from 1941 until his death in 1963. It was Dean Milner-White who had supervised a small team entrusted with the restoration of many of the Minster's windows in the aftermath of the Second World War.
With the help of the Pilgrim Trust, the Dean's vision was made reality. The Trust came into being on 20 July 1967 with Peter Gibson OBE as its first secretary and superintendent. Its expertise was put to the test in 1984 when a fire in the Minster's south transept caused terrible damage endangering the famous rose window. The conservation of the St William window achieved between 1997 and 2008 was another great highlight in the Trust's history. More recently it has undertaken the conservation and protection of three of the Minster's oldest windows, in the Chapter House vestibule.
Outside York, the Trust has worked on many of Britain's most important windows. Clients have included four Oxford Colleges (Balliol, Lincoln, New College and Trinity) and scores of parish churches throughout England and Wales. Nor is its work confined to glass of the Middle Ages. Projects have also included Karl Parsons' much-admired east window at All Saints, Porthcawl (1927-28) and panels from the west window of Beverley Minster (1859-65) by John Hardman of Birmingham.
From the beginning the Trust has been committed to education and research and has always had a close working relationship with the University of York, the centre of stained glass scholarship in Great Britain. The University provides art historical support for the conservation of York Minster's Great East Window.